What is Creatine and what does it do to human body?
Creatine is a substance that is naturally found in muscles cells. It promotes muscles to produce energy while doing heavy exercise. Creatine is one of most tested drug and it is one of the safest approved drugs. It resembles to amino acid chemically. Human body produce creatine with the help of amino acids, glycine and arginine. Several factors i.e. exercise, meat consumption, hormones level (testosterone), muscle mass affect the storage of creatine in human body. 5% of creatine is stored in kidney, brain and liver and 90% of creatine is stored in muscles in the form of phosphocreatine. When a person takes supplements of creatine, he increases the storage of phosphocreatine in his body. Phosphocreatine is a stored form of energy in cells and it regulates human body to produce high energy molecule called ATP. ATP is known as body energy currency. A person can perform better during exercise when he has large storage of ATP. Creatine leads to several cellular processes that increases muscle mass and strength.
Creatine is very popular in athletes and body builder’s community. They consume creatine supplements because it improves their health and performance since it is proofed to increase their muscle mass and strength and to boost their energy level.
How creatine helps in gaining muscle mass?
Creatine help in improving muscle mass through following ways:
- It increases muscle growth in long term thereby increasing the ability to perform more work or increase the volume of work performed in a single training session. It increases overall stamina and endurance level while performing heavy activity.
- It improves the signalling of satellite cells thereby speeds up muscle recovery after heavy work and increase muscle growth.
- It increase the level of hormones i.e. IGF-1.
- Creatine increases the water content in human cell thereby promotes volume of cell which play a crucial role in muscle strengthening and growth.
- It reduces muscle breakdown thereby increase total muscle mass.
- An increased level of myostatin protein in human muscle slows down or completely inhibits the growth of new muscles. Creatine plummets the level of myostatin protein thereby increasing new muscle formation and growth.
- Creatine supplements also increases phosphocreatine level in human brain thereby increasing the health of brain and prevent brain from chronic neurological disorders.
Creatine supplements are helpful at any stage of life whether you are young, adult or old. A fourteen week study conducted on old people manifests an increased level of muscle strength and growth. A research conducted on weight lifters for duration of twelve weak reveal that their muscle mass and strength increased by 2or 3 folds as compared to muscle mass growth attained by exercise only. Most of the existing literature suggest that creatine is the single most beneficial drug to increase muscle mass in athlete and weight lifters community. Studies suggested that intake of creatine supplements for 28 days can improve muscles strength by 8%, weight lifting performance by14%, bike sprinting performance by 15% and bench press performance by 6%. ATP storage starts depleting within 8-10 seconds after heavy exercise but creatine supplements help in creating more ATP therefore a person can maintain his ATP level.